So it’s summer and you want that great superfish, salmon, right? But you don’t just want to throw it in the oven and see what happens, or plop it on the grill. You want to emulate some great salmon that you had in a restaurant, or just find a way to reinvent salmon. I’m bringing you two great ways to have salmon, both easy summer recipes that are light and delicious.
Salmon with Basil-Lemon Marinade
- 4 pcs. salmon fillets or steaks (6 oz)
- 1 large bunch basil, washed and stemmed
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Grated rind of 1 lemon, approx. 2 tsp
- Juice of the lemon, 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Place salmon, rinsed, in large casserole dish.
- Marinade: combine basil, garlic, oil, rind, juice, salt and pepper, in blender. Whirl until smooth paste. Spread basil mixture. Turn salmon over to coat well. Marinate 30 mins, turn after 15 minutes.
- Prepare outdoor grill (heat coals), gas grill to hot or heat oven broiler. Grill salmon, basting with marinate, for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until opaque in centre. Transfer to a plate and serve!
Salmon and Asparagus Risotto
- 2 tblsp. olive oil
- 3 large shallots, fine chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste (use little salt)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and garlic. Saute over low heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the rice. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer the broth. Add 3/4 to 2 cups of the hot broth 1/2 cup at a time to the rice, stirring constantly after each addition and cooking until the broth is absorbed.
- Add the wine. Cook until absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the asparagus. Add the remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly after each addition and cooking until the broth is absorbed.
- Stir in the salmon. Cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
I’d like to invite all of you followers to ask questions and suggest recipes about your favourite ingredients, too!
Photos Courtesy of: