Some of my earliest memories consist of me sitting at the kitchen counter and making tin-foil animals. Mostly swans (is they could even be called swans), which I thought were the cat’s meow. I would put them on display in every room in the house because I loved the way the sun would reflect off of them.
With most people, tin-foil art ends at wrapping up a sandwich. For others, it goes on to incorporate dinosaurs and dresses. In all honesty, I find it quite surprising that tin-foil is not a more popular medium. It is malleable, durable, and a hypnotizing reflective surface. The endless possibilities that it holds are unimaginable.
Since I’m on the topic right now, I’m going to give the directions for one of my all-time favorite crafts. I taught myself how to do this last Christmas, and right now is the best time to start in order to have a forest of tin-foil trees by the holidays (actually, they come together extremely quick…)
You will need:
- A roll of tin-foil
- About 6 oz. of clay that hardens when baked
- A small sheet of felt
- A wooden skewer
- Stickers for decoration
1. Take your clay and make a mound that is about 2” in diameter at the bottom and is rounded to the top. Poke a hole in it big enough for the skewer to it in, and then bake the clay until hardened.
2. While the clay is baking, cut the tin foil into squares. You will need the 40 each of the following sizes (keep them separated in piles)
3 ½” x 3 ½”
2 ½” x 2 ½”
1 ½” x 1 ½”
½” x ½”
3. When the clay comes out of the oven, cut the felt to fit the bottom of it. Glue this on.
4. Put the skewer into the clay (pointy side up)
5. Place tin-foil squares onto skewer (biggest ones first, and continue to get smaller)
6. When finished take 2 of the same sticker (I like to use stars) and put them together at the top to cover the point.
7. You can decorate the rest of the tree with various other stickers or leave plain.
(I found a similar craft on Martha Stewart’s website, so I used her picture – just substitute the newspaper for tin-foil)
Have fun tin-foiling!!!